View Single Post
Old 10-24-2016, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Actually, I took a little time to research "academic costumes." Bottom line: not likely appropriate to wear the sorority stole with the masters' level costume.

Here's one link, there are many others. I didn't want to clutter up GC with TMI.

IMO it behooves you to check with your graduate college as to what is appropriate attire. I understand that being an AI, you didn't wear a stole in undergraduate graduation. Maybe you could wear your badge on your gown (if that's permitted).

ETA: here's a quote from an online source that might be helpful to you:

"Some institutions are very liberal in their rules and will allow organizational stoles for any organization you belong to. Others are very conservative and don't allow anything at all. The "official" rules on academic dress make no provision at all for stoles and cords - what is appropriate is based on local rules and traditions only.

"Remember though, you'll be wearing a master's hood with a master's gown and that hood is a bit longer than the bachelor's hood (if you wore one at all) - stoles tend to look a little unusual when coupled with a hood."