View Single Post
Old 09-24-2017, 02:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ari115 View Post
A little confused about how this informal rush thing works. A new sorority is colonizing at my school and I decided to go for an interview because unfortunately I missed formal rush (I didn’t know you had to go to the sorority’s Instagram pages to register?? I had been looking on my school’s greek life page & there was no info about fall recruitment. Anyway, registration closed by the time I figured it out.)

My interview was late and actually on bid day (morning) and they had already bid & decided on everyone. My cousin had passed away and I was out of town for his funeral so they made an exception. The interview went okay, it wasn’t what I was expecting at all so I was a little unprepared. From everything I had read and watched videos on and such, it would have been a girl around my age & she was going to ask me questions about myself and what I’ve been involved in, etc. The woman who interviewed me was older & she kept asking me what I thought about the sorority and if I had any questions. She asked me like one question about my life. I guess I’m kind of confused because I thought they were going to tell ME about the sorority. I mean I had read about it & the philanthropy and whatnot but I didn’t know what kind of questions I should have been asking. I thought it was like they see if my personality is a good fit & bid on me if so? So the interview was kind of awkward for that reason & worried she didn’t like me much or thought I was unprepared.

Anyway, do they contact you regardless if you got a bid or not? They asked for all my contact info afterward and said they would be contacting me soon. The sorority & some of the founding sisters followed me on social media but it’s been about 3 days and I haven’t heard anything. I wasn’t sure if they just didn’t want me so they didn’t bother to follow up or if maybe they forgot about me? I wanted to email them and ask but I don’t want to look pushy. Any advice? I'm pretty anxious as I really wanted to rush this year. I'm going to be junior next fall so I'm worried I'll have an even slimmer chance of getting a bid.
If they want to offer you a bid, they will find you! I don't think it would be pushy to send an email explaining how much you enjoyed the meeting and hope to be able to join their chapter. I don't know if they will let you know if you do not get a bid.

Now I am going to say something that may be a bit harsh... at many, many schools, rush is not just something to walk into unprepared. There are thousands of pages of information on rushing & how to prepare, questions to ask, what to expect on this site and others. It is very much like a job interview.

Interviewers are looking for YOU to shine and show your personality, to bowl them over with some enthusiasm. Their purpose was not to convince YOU to join them. That interview was your chance to tell them why you wanted to be an XYZ and how YOU would be an asset to the chapter.