Re: Class Reunions

Quote:
Originally posted by 9dstpm
If you haven't attended one yet or missed yours:

1. Why? (if you missed)
2. Will you dread it or anticipate it?
3. What kind of person were you in HS?
4. How have you changed?

Sorry this was a little bit long, but I'm kind of curious to hear about other's experiences. Thanks!!
1. My 20th year reunion was in August. Frankly, I loathed high school and did not want to spend time with people who basically stuck it to me for being an oddnik.

2. I didn't particularly dread it. I'm two years and a week from turning 40 -- now that's something to kind of worry about.

3. Back in HS, I was extremely insecure and fearful of my own shadow. I was truly only at ease within my family unit.
I was skinny with no breasts and butt; I looked really different; I had big glasses; no sense of personal style and as a brainiac, got no love from other AfAm kids. The anti-intellectual attitude of some of us is part of what's killing us as a race, IMO.

4. Well, I've gotten less fearful of life. I found that academic and career achievement were good, positive things. I still don't have much of a social life, but that's because I'm nearly 38 and don't have patience for BS.

I'm also less selfish. Being a virtual only child (my only sibling is 15 years my senior), I didn't know much about sharing and giving.

Finally, I look a heckuva lot better. Lost the glasses in college and am a proud contact wearer of 18 years. Got some curves, but dress tastefully for a woman of size.