View Single Post
Old 12-05-2009, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Unless you know the ENTIRE story personally, and were there, I would be extremely careful about comments like "throw away so much for so little." To automatically assume the collegians are 110% in the wrong is as disloyal as questioning the decision of your HQ would be.

Also, unless you know alumnae personally, you don't know what their outlook is on this.

I'm sorry but assumptions like this grind my gears. It's a time to support all your sisters, not just the ones in national office.
I do support my Tri Delta sisters. I feel badly for the alumnae who have lost their chapter. As a sister from a closed chapter (numbers, not hazing), I know what it is like to not have a chapter home any longer. It is awful. Having been through the experience of seeing my own chapter close, I feel deeply for the women involved.

And as an alumna who understands the value of sorority membership as a life-long opportunity, I DO think it is throwing away a great deal. No, I don't know the whole story. But I do know that if some of those women end up losing their membership over this, they have lost a great deal.

I don't really understand why you were offended by assumptions you thought I was making, but trust me. I'm grieved for everyone involved. I don't need to know the whole story to know it is a very sad situation. Breaking the rules of the university and the sorority shouldn't be tolerated by any organization. And if we don't police ourselves, you can be sure someone from outside of the Greek world will step in and do it for us. So, from that standpoint, I'm thankful that our leadership is apparently trying to protect the organization as a whole by addressing what must have been a bad situation.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.