View Single Post
Old 09-27-2010, 02:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 1 - Open Party

I was a pretty nervous freshman as I stood outside the Apple house, a chapter with a rich history and a beautiful home. I was thrilled to be met by one of the girls I worked with that summer, and not knowing that her "scooping" me at the door was NOT an invitation for a hug -- I probably made a fool of myself trying to hug her Conversation with my friend was nice and easy, and we caught up on the week that she missed while she was at Spirit week. We had already covered why she liked Apple while we worked together, so it was wonderful to just be able catch my breath and relax at this house. I know that I spoke to one other sister of Apple that day, and the only thing that I can remember is talking about how the sister did not like the food in the Apple house. Overall impression -- Wonderful house that proved they did meet the image that was portrayed of them.

Next up was Orange, and to be honest I don't really remember much about this house on this night. I knew no one in this house, and only learned of a few members who were teachers / counselors at my high school the next year when working the other side of recruitment. I am sure the girls that I meet there were nice, but it just wasn't memorable. Overall impression -- Unmemorable

Grapes was my next house, and home to the other co-worker from that summer. It felt a little weird, because she didn't pick me up at the door, but I thought -- surely, she will bump over to say hello because I see her over there in her skit outfit (she wasn't rushing another girl or anything) -- but no, I never got to say hello to her that night. I had seen in the school paper that one member of Grapes was the daughter of my hometown mayor, who had graduated the semester before. I again don't remember too much about the girls that rushed me -- but do remember being shocked that my co-worker was such a ham in their skit that day! She was much more quiet and reserved when we worked together! Overall impression -- stereotypes probably clouded my judgment, but I got the feeling that this was the "party" house. As a young naive freshman, I thought that this was probably not the house for me.

Banana was my final house for my first day, and I was pretty excited to visit this house. Banana was, and still is, a VERY popular house for girls from my hometown to pledge. My roommate's boyfriend's sister (still with me -- ha!) was reference chair for Banana that year, and I just adored (and still adore) her and her whole family. There were girls that I had been in Girl Scouts with, went to church with, were cheerleaders together, and so much more. Everyone I met was just wonderful at Banana, and I was just hoping that I was making a GREAT impression. Their skit was precious, and made me want to be a Banana right then and there. Overall impression -- Rho Chi, may I sign a bid card now?

Day 2 - Open Party

After loving my 1st day, I was excited to meet the other 3 chapters at UA. Kiwi was first on my list. Kiwi is a top chapter with some of the most beautiful, smart, and talented ladies on campus. There were also several "girl scout" alums in Kiwi, but most were 2 years older and I had lost touch with them as they went off to college. There was 1 member of Kiwi who I did go to church with and cheered with in high school. Little did I know at the time, but she was "pushing" for my roommate to join Kiwi. I had also met other Kiwis at various church fellowships and hometown gatherings. They were all wonderful, and I really hoped to get an invitation back to this house. I don't remember who I talked to at this house, but I feel like I did speak with some girls that I knew on this day. Overall impression -- Beautiful chapter, and trying to figure out how I could fit in with this group.

Apricot was next up. Apricot (like most of the chapters on UA campus) is a very established chapter on campus. These girls seemed very down to earth, and prepared for recruitment. Conversation flowed well, and their home was beautiful. I did not know anyone at Apricot but hoped to learn more about them throughout the week. Overall impression -- Enjoyed this house.

Peach was my final house for open party. What I remember most about this house was how diverse it was, compared to the other houses on campus. While many of the other houses seemed to have a large ratio of "Blond Haired Size 2 super models" or "Brunette Beauties," this house looked to have ladies of all hair colors, shapes, and sizes. It was also a very relaxed house -- more the place you wanted to kick your feet up and relax, than sit in hard chairs and have the same old formal recruitment conversation. As the newest chapter on campus, I did not know a single alumnae or active member of Peach, and while I did have a good overall impression of this house, they didn't seem as polished as some of the others. Overall impression -- I'm sure they are nice, but maybe not for me.

Up next -- first round of cuts and House Tour!