View Single Post
Old 07-02-2020, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWTXBelle View Post
I'd be interested in seeing some actual numbers in terms of how many WOC are going through NPC recruitment, and how many are given a bid. I realize that may not be possible, but from my admittedly restricted view, the problem is more a case of getting WOC to go through recruitment rather than those who do not getting a bid. I am also aware that this will vary widely amongst campuses, but i would be very surprised if the issue is not more one of getting WOC to come through recruitment instead of those who do being denied a bid. Are those who are coming through dropping out/not getting a bid in higher numbers than traditional PNMs? Are we attracting WOC in the first place? If not, why not? I'd think exploring those questions should be the focus before deciding the best way to proceed.
In our town, especially at the high school that all my kids attended, Asian and Hispanic women do rush and pledge NPCs regularly. I haven't known of a local black woman to rush an NPC in the last 20 years and like I said earlier, most of that is likely due to the community culture. The NPHC chapters here are very visible and do a huge amount of good work. Many women are legacies and they want to follow their relatives into the chapters. And also, the black high school teachers and administrators wear their para all the time and have their symbols all over their classrooms, offices, and cars.

I wish the NPC would be that visible.