View Single Post
Old 08-11-2011, 10:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzgirl View Post
I thought Alpha Xi Delta had the most liberal policy. Can't really remember, but I know a lot of chaptes are now including "steps"

Alpha Xi:

Definition. An Alpha Xi Delta legacy is the granddaughter, daughter, sister, or niece of an Alpha Xi Delta member in good standing. Where there are equivalent step- or half-relations resulting from blended or other non-traditional family structures, a young woman is considered a legacy if the Alpha Xi Delta member considers her to be one and asks that she be considered as a legacy on the Potential Member Profile.
I thought Sigma Kappas was similar to AXiDs. (Although I could be very wrong).

My chapter had a member with a great legacy story to go with our more liberal policy. Her birth mother was an AXiD and her birth mother passed away when she was about 4. She does not remember her except in photos. Her birth mom had a wonderful set of sisters from her chapter who stepped in and basically helped her father raise her and her brother for their entire lives. She said she always had 5 mothers - all AXiDs. The father eventually married another woman, who had pledged AXiD in college, but never initiated. When she came through recruitment, she told this story and as incredible as it sounds, it completely checked out. She listed her legacy affiliation (her birth mom) on her recruitment form, but then also listed these 5 other women as very important people in her life - she knew their maiden names, initiation years and chapters. They all wrote her glowing recs.

After the member was initiated, the 5 women came to visit her and she brought them to the house and introduced them all as her "moms". It was a great story of sisterhood!