View Single Post
Old 08-26-2010, 03:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaPoodle View Post
So here's the deal. I've maxed out my federal loans (both subsidized and unsubsidized) and have 1 year to finish my program. I found a website that caters to Credit Unions but I want to know if anyone has heard of/used it. I belong to a credit union but they don't offer student loans, just other standard loans ie: home, auto etc. The site lists several credit unions across the U.S. It's called cu student loans.org

I'm going to ask my credit union about it but I wanted to get any info from the campus community. Thanks!

~~NP~~
Have you tried one of the major banks? I know people talk badly about private loans, but I took two out from Citibank for grad school, and I honestly never had a problem with it. The interest rate is 4.35%, compared to 3.75% for my federal loans, and since I had two, they combinedthe payments. The ones I took out have pretty much the same deferment/forebearance options as the public loans, but for shorter amounts of time. Granted, I took out loans at the best time to do it, so it might be harder now, with less forgiving repayment options.

You CAN consolidate private loans. Again, it depends on the bank.

Aren't PLUS loans for parents? I don't know, I would not have burdened my parents (who had already paid for an extremely expensive undergrad) with MY student loans, especially when they were so close to retirement.