View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 12:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think people should get a pass for their major, but I think there should be understanding. Objectively, my engineering friends had more involved, more difficult work than I did as a sociology major. Their GPA matched against mine was more impressive knowing the work they did was more time-intensive and more rigorous than the work I did. My major was the major athletes got placed in to stay academically eligible, which I know because I tutored a whole lot of them who needed it even though their classes were easy. Football players don't get put in engineering courses to keep them on the team.

We had to be reminded during recruitment that if a PNM told us she was in engineering or the Honors college not to wow and awe at her or tell her "that's such a hard major!" because it was incredibly awkward to be on the receiving end of that (which I experienced more than once when I mentioned being in our Honors college). While I hated when engineering majors acted as though they were somehow better than non-STEM majors because they survived their classes, I acknowledge that not all majors are created equal.

That said, I think there should still be a minimum PNMs have to clear regardless of major, and then what that major was can be considered afterwards.