View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 10:11 AM
GreekChat Member

My rule of thumb is that the Alpha Phi Omega pledging process should be *less* stressful than a class. So requiring a pledge to be at an hour long pledge meeting *and* a two hour brotherhood meeting is fine. The national information to be learned should rarely exceed what is in the pledge manual (which is publicly available) and an equivalent chapter manual for which the pledges should be responsible for the same amount or less for memorization than the National Pledge Manual.

I know brothers who have been blind and I've known brothers in motorized wheelchairs (who actually had more control of their feet than their arms/hands). Nothing in the pledge process should exclude people with those characteristics, or at worst reasonable accommidations(sp?) should be made.

Note, since I am *horrible* with names and faces, there are chapters of my fraternity where I would have passed the requirements (and as it happens, I might not have become a brother if Alpha Phi Omega allowed blackballing)

As for Brother signatures, I'm fine with the concept as long as a brother refusing to sign/interview does not become an effective blackball. And I'm fine with having the pledges make something to be signed as long as it takes less than a pledge meeting to make.

As for Alcohol, obey the law and the same rules on identification that the brothers/sisters do. However I'm also a little hesitant of having a pledge kicked out if they are 21, are not in letters and not at an event mostly made of the pledge class.