View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
I actually appreciate our NM program due to many of the things people mentioned above.

We made the jump from Forever Sigma (my NM program circa 2004) to Essential Sigma in 2006.

However, we maintained a NM exam (must pass to initiate) and the requirement that our NMs earn participation points (85% of required points per month) just as our initiated members do.

New Members are also not exempt from the consequences of not making points. Ex: They are not going to be initiated with their class having failed to make points for two months.

So I dont relate to anyone who thinks "anyone who joined after the 80s had no expectations or requirements in their NM programs and just get candy and hugs." We are not that sorority.
I think this is the route most groups went. The general rule that I would hear after we made these changes was "As long as the active sisters are required to do the same thing, it's ok." For example:

- New members making dinner by themselves for everyone to enjoy: not OK. New members and actives all making dinner together for everyone to enjoy: OK
- New members planning a philanthropic event and taking part in it on their own: not OK. New members being required to participate in the philanthropic events held by the chapter: OK

Basically, there's more integration and requiring new members to take part in the same activities of the active sisters (which isn't a bad thing). But basically ANYTHING extra that you ask of the new members is "hazing".

It's disappointing, but I can also understand the want to eliminate as much of the gray area as possible. That being said, I still can't see the logic behind the terminology changing and new member (pledge!) periods being shortened.

@~/~~~~