View Single Post
Old 01-26-2018, 08:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUZeta View Post
Old broad here who has spent many years advising chapters. It is not yearning for the "good ol' days" we base our opinion of the current abbreviated pledge period on, but the fact that initiation is no longer worked for; short pledge, excuse me, new member periods, showering the new members with gift, after gift, after gift, makes for members who don't fully appreciate the gift of membership. Heck,many of them don't fully know the history of the org. they were just initiated into! It should be looked on as a privilege, but many these days look on initiation as an entitlement. And please understand that earning initiation does not necessarily mean hazing.

We were told that the shortened new member period was, in part, inacted to help cut down on hazing, yet we still see chapters on probation or closed for hazing. If I had a vote, I would vote for a semester long "new member" period. It would allow the new members to learn more in-depth history of their sorority and chapter, as well as allow them to fully understand the obligation they were about to undertake, but would give them more time to decide if sorority life was for them, and would allow the chapter more time to get to know the new members and determine whether they were worthy of the gift of membership.
All of this. Ideally, I'd like to see (for my own organization):

1. At least a 10-week new member period.
2. More education on the history of Greek life, as well as AST.
3. In addition to anti-hazing, alcohol awareness, and sexual assault and abuse programming, hold educational sessions - maybe presented by a professional or experienced alumna - geared toward leadership, time management, etiquette (business or otherwise), study skills, resume building, etc.
4. Team-building exercises and activities. It could be something as simple as doing one of those hour-long escape rooms together.

And ultimately, I'd like to see organizations give chapters a little more leeway in building a new member program that fits them and their circumstances. Maybe it would require submission to and approval from national officers to keep everyone in check. But I don't think the short, simplistic, gift-filled new member programs are doing chapters any favors.

@~/~~~~