View Single Post
Old 12-02-2005, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OPhiARen3
I know several of the fraternities at GT have policies against dating within the chapter. Is this a common practice?
That's really surprising to hear, and quite frankly, a bit disheartening. You would like to think that such bright students, in such an enlightened city as Atlanta, would think a bit differently.

I graduated from Tech in '04, and was active in my Chapter, as well as IFC the entire time that I was an undergraduate, yet never heard of this kind of thing from friends in other houses. I'm curious as to what "several" means in your post? Off the top of my head, I can think of eight or nine houses that have openly gay members. That's what, 25% of the IFC groups on campus?

My Chapter has multiple openly gay members, and I can't think of anything more offensive to them than someone standing up at a meeting and saying "I would like to amend our by-laws to state that so-and-so can't date anyone in the Chapter." Does that really need to be said? Do people really think if someone's gay they're out to have sex with every person they know?

And for what it's worth, having worked with Buck Cooke for a number of years, I can't say enough good things about him. Kappa Sigma is very lucky to not only have him as a member, but as a Chapter founder as well.