Thread: I Don't Get AI
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to throw this out there, AI is also a possibility for colony members that put a ton of work, sweat and tears into building a chapter, but it didn't come to fruition. We had a colony at a small university campus near Atlanta for two years, but it was closed this past spring. I worked very closely with those women and shared their great disappointment (the only other Chapter in Georgia is 4 miles away from us, and it were just installed this past spring). However, those girls are Alpha Sigma Alphas through-and-through, and therefore are being initiated as alum in November. We are reorganizing the Atlanta Alumnae Chapter and these women will be a great addition to our group.
AI isn't to replace the collegian experience and I've never met an AI who thought it would. And if a collegiate member thinks that AI doesn't make sense, she probably doesn't get that membership is for life, and a sister should want to be involved in whatever way possible (depending on life circumstances, of course) after graduation. If a PNM joins a sorority only for the social perks, she's not bringing a lot to the organization. But a PNM who joins because the values, aspirations and ideals of the sisterhood closely match what's already in her heart will move the national organization forward a great deal. That member will continue to enjoy her membership well beyond the college years and will likely show that love to others around her in her lifetime.
Just my two cents.