View Single Post
Old 12-08-2008, 09:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Laurel,

I have known a new initiate whose story is almost identical to yours! Her freshman year was tough - she was from out of state and really knew almost no one, huge pledge class, bad roommate situation, etc.

I agree with the others who are encouraging you to be more assertive regarding asking to go along with the other girls. You can even bring it up by saying, "Hey, next time you guys go to the XYZ house/movies/etc, give me a call. I would love to go with you." or "Is anybody doing anything this weekend? Count me in."

Second, I really want to encourage you to do something completely different than your usual routine. Step outside of your box. Sometimes this simple change can make a difference. Attend other campus activities. Look for your sisters there and join them when you see them. Little by little the relationships will form.The member I knew who was struggling started attending a contemporary church service aimed at college students. She saw some other members of her sorority - none she knew well at all - but they sat together and ended up being friends.

Do not quit. This will pass. Keep holding your chin up, keep trying. I promise you there are other girls in your pledge class who are struggling. It can be a disappointment when the sisterhood everyone speaks of is slow to form - but it will happen.