View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
I respectfully defer to members of other NPC organizations, but I haven't picked up on AI being a taboo subject on GC. In Gamma Phi Beta there is nothing taboo, or secretive, or unusual about AI. Feel free to explore our public section of www.gammaphibeta.org under Join as an Alumna. In fact, we publicly state that we offer AI as an alternate route to membership for women who did not join an NPC group as a undergraduate. I am sorry if I inadvertently stepped on anyone's toes.
I think you are interpreting the word "taboo" in the wrong way.

It's more like - people on GC got sick of any Jane, Susie or Mary who didn't join a sorority in college (and often for really dumb reasons) being told that "there's always AI." It's not a consolation prize, it is a special honor. It is also not a substitute for collegiate membership and the activities you do as a collegian.

G Phi B's website is also pretty clear that coming in cold (i.e. AIing without knowing a soul or having any connection to anyone in the sorority) really isn't the way to go about it. There was a rash of posters on GC some years back who were "sorority shopping" - i.e. trying to AI into some group, ANY group, that would take them.