View Single Post
Old 04-27-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
I don't see it like that at all. Does seeing a pride flag on a car or street corner make you feel like homosexuality is being crammed down your throat? If not, then why do you feel that way about religion, especially if they (the messages) aren't proselytizing. You singled out Christianity but you live in Dubai and IIRC youve posted before that there were times when you weren't allowed to eat in public during the day or do other things because of Islamic laws or traditions. I would think having to live by certain rules established by a religion would be far worse than seeing a religious creed or motto every now or then.
She's talking about fraternity/sorority things and how prevalent the mentions of God are, not her day to day life.

And to go on a tangent, I didn't realize until after my mom died how if you get a gift in late April/May clerks always ask "Is this for your mom?", the constant marketing of the holiday, etc etc etc. You can't escape it for a period of about two months and let me tell you it really effing sucks, especially on the first go-round. I'm not saying get rid of it, just that sometimes people are inconsiderate and have no clue that they are being so. This all to say, I don't think many of our founders were being inconsiderate or discriminatory when they wrote very Christian-centered or God-centered rituals. It simply did not cross their mind that anyone lived life any differently.