View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 08:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Sure, I would rush again. Just realize that the chapter(s) to which you don't feel a connection might be feeling a connection to you that is worth exploring. Sometimes a house that would be a great fit for you doesn't strike you that way at first.

Work on your social skills in the meantime. Like you, I was shy in college. I deliberately picked a very social school that would help to bring me out of my shell. I attended a lot of parties and forced myself to walk up to people, smile, and introduce myself -- "Hi! I'm [name.] What's your name?" Then I would ask the standard quesitons, i.e. how do you know the host, what's your major, hometown, etc. The sooner you can move the conversation away from the standard questions, the better. Ask people if they've seen the latest movie or concert, or rave about a TV show that is currently holding your interest. If you explore various topics, sooner or later you will find a way to connect. I got to the point where I could develop a conversation with virtually anyone.

My social skills improved so much that I later went into sales for a living. I remember one potential employer being super impressed that I walked into the business, introduced myself, and asked if they had any sales jobs open. That's exactly what that employer was looking for. And that's a skill set that I learned in college, but not in the classroom!

So all that is to say -- take heart, your social skills can be improved. Work on developing them and don't be afraid to make mistakes or seem awkward.