View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
I don't log on here as often as I used to so I'm late to this party. I had been pretty dismissive of these pageants over the last several years because I thought they exacerbated false expectations of beauty and misogyny. I did watch this 2.0 version of Miss America and was very impressed with the changes. I will continue to watch and support. This really demonstrated the strengths and accomplishments of these young women. What a difference!
Totally agree with you! Here's what I wrote in the other "live broadcast" thread:

"My daughter and I really liked it. As we were watching, I could tell that the process and criteria really resonated with her, as someone in the same age bracket and general life situation (vocal performance degree, entering last semester of grad school, starting professional job search, etc.) as the contestants. It was much more modern and meaningful. Frankly, I've seen enough swimsuits in those superficial recruitment videos. I appreciated the focus on accomplishments and academics, instead of "luck of the draw looks."

It was really interesting to see how "into" it GenerallyGreek was. She could totally relate to the contestants. I think they've figured out how to make Miss America relevant to the Millenials and Gen Z women.