View Single Post
Old 09-26-2017, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

There are hidden sorority women EVERYWHERE. I mentioned a short time ago that after my daughter completed recruitment, I discovered my mother-in-law was a Sigma Kappa. I had never thought to ask. Your HS teachers are a great resource. They all had to go to college to be a teacher, so they are the most obvious that are likely to know alumnae of sororities, or be one themselves. We were able to obtain recs for my daughter through family friends. I had seen on Facebook a while ago a post from a friend that she was super excited that her daughter had joined her sorority as a legacy. I reached out to them and was able to get two recs for that group. I was telling my neighbor how recruitment was going for my daughter and she remembered a good friend of hers was helping with recruitment there as an alumnae. She reached out to her and sent my daughter's resume. Another rec down with a simple conversation. My alumnae group had connections with people in the rest of the groups and were able to get recs. There are 5 NPC groups on our campus, but in talking to friends we apparently have connections in at least 5 additional groups. I could probably even extend it to several more if I reached out a bit more because those friends had friends in other sororities at their campuses. Start asking around and you may be surprised at how quickly rec contacts breed like rabbits.

Also - put together a quick resume. There are numerous websites with tips on what to include. It doesn't have to be fancy, but there are some advisable sections to have to make it easy for ladies to fill out their specific groups recommendation forms. (GPA, activities in school, major, etc.). Include at least one or two nice photos. Minimally, this can be saved as a PDF to text or email to people quickly, but it doesn't hurt to have it on nice resume paper as well.

Also bear in mind that if you find that someone you know is a member of a specific sorority, but has no idea how to do a rec, you may want to have a phone number, email or website for the national hq for them to contact for the proper methods. This is especially important for older members who may have never even been to their sorority's national website to register for access. It's never super difficult to do a rec, but many have never had the opportunity.

Mom to a non greek son, an Alpha Xi Delta daughter and two more potential legacy daughters!