View Single Post
Old 06-09-2013, 01:21 PM
GreekChat Member

A Dog Recruitment "Tail"

Hello everyone! I have been reading everyone’s recruitment story and I decided to write my own! I am a recent graduate of a university and so I’m going to post my recruitment experience.

I transferred schools my sophomore year and I had zero knowledge of greek life. The only exposure I had to it was at my first college where greek life was predominately filled with girls who were very catty and snobby. Needless to say, I did not have a good opinion of it. However, when I transferred schools, I wanted a way to meet people, so my mom suggested going through recruitment. I was terrified of the idea because I stutter and even though I wasn’t sure what recruitment exactly entailed, I was pretty sure it involved a lot of talking. My mom convinced me to just sign up for it and go to the first night of recruitment and if I didn’t like it, I wouldn’t have to go back. I went back and forth with the idea of going through with it, but I finally decided that I might as well try it! So off I went!

We have five sororities at my school. I love dogs so I will be naming each one of them after different dog breeds!

Labrador
German Shepherd
Corgi
Bulldog
Beagle

First Night: Orientation
This was more of an Orientation to what greek life was. We were separated into our groups and got to meet our recruitment counselors. We had to go around the circle and introduce ourselves and talk about why we wanted to rush. Like many people who stutter, saying my name while being ‘put on the spot’ is very hard! I stuttered a bit but everyone was patient and understanding. It helped me gain a little confidence with recruitment. However, I will still kind of hesitant if any sorority would like me..

First Day: Meet and Greet
Here we go! The start of recruitment (ahhh!! What am I getting into?!). Off we went with our recruitment groups to meet all of the sororities!

First off was German Shepherd.
I walked into a room full of loud clapping and cheering, and all I could think of was, omg what did I get myself into! But I was excited to meet everyone at the same time! I was immediately paired with one girl who started asking me a whole bunch of questions. And while she seemed nice, the sorority as a whole didn’t seem that organized. I noticed once the clapping and cheering stopped, the room didn’t have much energy. The decorations were dull, and the sisters genuinely looked bored. There were a clump of sisters on the side of the room with their arms crossed just staring at everyone else looking like they did not want to be there. Maybe they were newer sisters and didn’t know how to act in recruitment, but it put me off and I did not think this sorority was for me.

Next was Beagle
One of my best friends from high school was best friends with a girl in this sorority. My best friend had told her that I was rushing, so when she saw me there in recruitment she was really excited to see me! This made my nerves at ease and I felt like I already had a friend in recruitment. She was introducing me to her sisters and I felt comfortable there already. They were a very well put together sorority, they seemed classy and were very pretty girls overall. I felt like this was my new home already!

The third house was Labrador
I could immediately tell that this was the ‘glam’ sorority. They were very well put together, beautiful, and were very outgoing. The conversation flowed naturally here and it seemed like a very warm atmosphere. I liked this sorority and they said they hoped to see me back tomorrow. I got an overall good vibe from this sorority!

Corgi was next
I had done a bit of research before going into recruitment by looking up their Panhellenic Council’s website and found this sorority’s website through that. They seemed like down to earth girls, and that’s exactly what they were like in recruitment! I immediately connected with one girl who was really sweet. Even though the conversation sort of paused here and there, I could tell that she was interested in talking to me. I got a very authentic vibe from this group. I really liked them a lot and was sad to go!

Last was Bulldog
This sorority was much smaller than the other sororities on campus, however they were very friendly and genuine. The room didn’t have as much pizzazz as the other sororities, but overall I got a good vibe from them. I could tell they weren’t as competitive as some of the other sororities, but nonetheless, I liked them because they seemed like they had a good sisterhood and a good foundation.

After we met all five sororities, I had to rank them… so I put:
1. Beagle
2. Corgi
3. Labrador
4. Bulldog
5. bottom – German Shepherd

On to day number two!