View Single Post
Old 03-13-2001, 08:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by TxTechChiO:
I am afiliated with Kappa Alpha Order in Texas (I am a Southern Belle), so I am kinda familiar w/what you are asking. I have spoken to several pledges who are thinking the same thoughts you are. *What is making you have second thoughts about KA?* I am not being biased, I am just wondering what they may not be offering you that you are looking for. Since it has only been four weeks since you pledged, you should give them a chance. I know there are hardships during pledgeship, esp. for males. And I know what it's like to have second thoughts. There are probably more greeks out there than you realize who have questioned their choice. I think it's normal for you to wonder about how others are doing as pledges. You probably got close to some guys you went through rush with, and even though you went your seperate ways, please realize you are all essentially in the same boat.
I know that KA's here have had pledges in your position (wanting a second chance from KA or wanting to leave KA for another GLO). I believe that it is looked down upon in most, if not all GLO's, for a pledge to change his mind during pledgship. There are probably some things that you have learned in your four weeks that they don't want you carrying to other chapters. That might not make sense, but they have already accepted you into their family. It's not a decision they took lightly.
Not knowing anyone at your school was probably the best thing for you. Probably the most difficult for you as well. But that meant that you were totally open minded, good for you! What made you pick KA over Phi Psi? Whatever this reason was, I am sure that deep down you knew it was right for you and still do. Something drew you to Kappa Alpha Order and something about you made them want you just as badly.
As far as the Phi Psi's talking to you, I am sure the KA's (or any other frat) would do the same if the situation were reversed. Surely the KA's speak to you as well.(?) Both of these organizations cared a great deal about you and where you would end up. There is no reason for you to feel guilty. There is nothing wrong with remaining friends w/these guys. Just give your KA brothers a chance. Learn more about what they represent and I am sure you will want to become a part of it.

Nothing about KA is making me want to leave. The guys are nice. The house has been fun. But there is that big part of me that just wants to be a Phi Psi.
Being new to the greek system, and the fakeness of rush I was not prepared for all the bull shit. Phi Psi was my first choice from the week before rush when all the fraternities had tables set up on campus, and even throughout rush. But the night that KA gave me my bid they also invited me to their after party. I told myself at the start of rush that I would not go to any after parties because I did not want to be influenced at all. Anyway, I felt guilty for getting a bid and telling them I needed 24 hours to think about it (and Phi Psi had not started bidding yet) so I went to the after party. I had so much fun with the guys, and that is the main reason why I chose KA over Phi Psi. Even though Phi Psi offered a lot more that I was looking for, and was the “realest” fraternity I visited during rush.
You have to realize something; I knew no one at this school, I did not click with anyone of my floor in my dorm, and I was lonely. Looking back now I see a fraternity trying to impress me and win me over just so I would sign their bid. I realize I made a mistake, and want to correct it, regardless of the consequences.