View Single Post
Old 10-04-2017, 12:21 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCMS View Post
Excellent point and I agree. Add in helicopter parents and it gets worse.

It's being called "Adjustment Disorder" in college counseling centers. Some kids are having a tough time in the real world on their own.
I agree. My mother NEVER would have posted on Greek Chat for/about me, nor would she have posted something basically shaming the "system" for not treating me right. Not just picking on the OP but we've had a couple of threads this season with the common theme of "my daughter didn't get into the 'right' house and doesn't feel an instant connection, therefore the system is broken and must be fixed."

Sororities are the ultimate team environment - it's never about "me", it's about "we". The women must work together to achieve their goals, whether it's a higher GPA or a more robust social calendar or being more visible on campus. It doesn't function when a bunch of prime donnas are upset they aren't being fawned over. Roll up your sleeves, young ladies, and get to work.

I was unsure of my decision on Bid Day. I got my #1 pref but I still vividly remember a girl in my pledge class crying hysterically because she thought she was going to a different sorority (she later became a VP in our chapter, fwiw!). I felt like I didn't really have a solid friend group in my chapter until I moved into the house my sophomore year and I certainly didn't feel like I had bff's 1 week into my pledge period....but good Lord I didn't tell my mom about any of that stuff!! (Especially since they paid my dues!!) I knew I had to find my own path, the same advice my mom gave me in high school..."if you want a friend, you first have to be a friend."