View Single Post
Old 12-19-2016, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhelrose View Post
Hi everyone! This is my first post on Greekchat, and while I've been an avid reader for around a year, I've recently come upon an issue with my university's Panhellenic that I hope someone will be able to help me with.

I'm a junior at my university, which is a medium-sized urban school with a healthy greek life. We have 10 Panhellenic chapters, and even though one recently closed due to their HQ pulling their charter, we've just decided to reestablish a chapter on campus! I've been involved with my university's Panhel in several ways, and applied to the Executive Board to try and help even more. Unfortunately, I wasn't selected for any position, and while that was disappointing, I eventually got over it.

The real problem stems from who they did select for the E-Board. I obviously love my Panhel sisters, and think that they are all wonderful women, but one of their selections directly violates our Panhellenic Bylaws. I tried to ask the university's Panhellenic Advisor about it, hoping to get some clarification, but was essentially stonewalled. Basically, our bylaws state that the President of Panhellenic and the Vice President of Recruitment cannot be members of the same sorority, and these two women are in the same chapter.

My question is, does anyone know if this violates a national Panhellenic bylaw, or just my university's? Or is there any way I can find out this information? And if it is a national rule, any advice as to what my next move should be? It might sound petty, but my concern stems from a genuine place, as this would not be the first issue my university's Panhellenic has had with following National Panhellenic bylaws. I'm not whining and saying "oh, no fair that I wasn't picked!" but rather I am becoming extremely frustrated with the lack of transparency in my university's Greek Life. Any advice would be much appreciated!

QFP