View Single Post
Old 09-12-2018, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadokat View Post
It happens SO MUCH now! Women hear of a girl in another chapter going early alum or inactive for no reason, and they think they can do it in our chapter. We do not do any early alumnae status, and have the same standards for inactive status as you do for reduced membership. Lots of women today, in my opinion, feel that once their closest friends leave, they want to leave too, and don't take the time to reinvest in the new women. And then when you can't give them inactive status, they say fine, I'll disaffiliate. It's such a problem.
I don't remember this happening when I was an active (late 70's) and it does seem I hear of it more now. I've almost gotten the sense - from the situations I've heard of, including the daughter of a close friend - that a) girls don't realize that this is a lifelong commitment, or b) they get tired of the commitment. Yes, there are times when girls experience financial stress, etc., so those are different than what I'm describing.

A friend's daughter, for example, tired of "being told where and when to be somewhere" so she deactivated. A few other girls I've been told about didn't think it was "a big deal" to deactivate, they just "didn't like being in the chapter anymore."

Once girls start doing it for those kinds of reasons, I think it can spread to other members and begin to "normalize" de-activating and making it seem like it's not that big a deal.