View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 06:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
I've always said there are two reasons people to go into counseling-type professions-- a sincere desire to help others or an unacknowledged desire to figure out what's wong with themselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
My first program manager in mental health said "We have two types of patients, those that come in the front door and those that come in the back door." Back door were clearly some of the employees!
My Music Therapy professor's theory was that almost EVERYONE who goes into a mental health field is a combination of wanting to figure out themselves AND because they've lived with whatever it is, they want to help other people figure themselves out too...

My dad met my mom while doing a graduate class in counseling. It's a good thing my dad never continued, because he would have been that GEICO(?) commercial with the drill sargent telling the guy on the couch to suck it up. Not everyone who WANTS to be a counselor would actually be good at it.