View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 12:46 PM
GreekChat Member

I woke up on the morning of house tours to approximately six inches of snow on the ground and a big sheet of ice covering campus. Though I lost my footing on the way back from breakfast, I was still determined to have a great first day of recruitment. At my school, house tours is "optional" and occurs the weekend before formal recruitment events start. We visit all six houses and there are no rankings after the end of this round. I saw it as good practice, but also a good chance to make a first impression before next week.

For house tours, I kept it casual in jeans, a nice sweater, a scarf, and my Bean boots. It seemed to just get colder as the day went on.

We started off with Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit, which I had some interest in but wanted to learn more. Their song was so catchy and I was pleasantly surprised when the girl who picked me up turned out to be one of my coworkers! She was super sweet and introduced me to a lot of sisters. We didn't even have the typical "name, major, hometown" conversation - we spent the time talking about a professor I have this semester that we both loved. I didn't expect to love this house but I did! I left excited to return next weekend.

Compared to my last house, Minion Mayhem was, well, mayhem. I introduced myself when the girl I was paired to picked me up, but she kept forgetting my name throughout the tour! This is the smallest and newest house on campus, and while I liked that they were close, I had a painfully awkward time. The girl giving me a tour kept running out of things to say or questions to ask, so she'd point out things like the toilet or a picture frame. I felt bad because I know lots of girls didn't like them, but I just didn't get the feeling that I could belong here.

We then headed to Escape from Gringotts, one of the groups that I knew I liked. Their house was the best I had seen so far. Everyone was super friendly, though I didn't feel that the conversation moved beyond superficial topics. However, I liked that they had a variety of songs instead of repeating one; they sang super loudly and you could tell they were passionate about their sorority. I'm excited to see them again and hopefully get to know the girls better.

The next group we visited was the one I had been waiting for, E.T. Adventure. I knew many girls here and they did not disappoint. Their house is another very nice one, and I could see the personality and history in the rooms and living spaces. I had a lot in common with the girl I was paired with, as we were both from far out of state and worked at summer camps. These girls were so strong and passionate, and I definitely couldn't wait to go back.

I knew a lot of girls in Revenge of the Mummy as well, so I was excited to visit. The one word I could use to describe them after tours was nice. The girl who I was paired with didn't impress me, but as we visited each room I got the opportunity to talk with different sisters that I definitely connected with more. One thing that bothered me is that the girls all sleep in the same room, which I don't know if I could do. Other than that they were super friendly and I wanted to learn more!

Finally, we headed to Hogwarts Express. I know a lot of stories have that one house, the one that every girl wants and is seen as the "best" house on campus. This was that house. The girl I was paired with was super friendly but I could feel myself being judged here more than at other houses. Their house was beautiful and I did enjoy my time here, but I wondered if I would fit in or if I could even afford it.

After six houses, we were finally released to eat dinner and relax. I spent the evening with my girlfriend, who hasn't started recruitment yet. Events begin fully for both of us sometime next week, so updates will be coming! Overall I'm still super excited about the process and I can't wait to find my new home!