View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexa62 View Post
I am in a smaller/medium sized chapter. We have around 100 girls. I guess I should explain more. I used to help out at my church/go to studies/etc multiple times a week. Especially after having meetings and events EVERY sunday, I havent been able to do any of that. It is especially hard with all of the studying I have to do with classes. My reasoning isnt really "I am a christian, so I cant be in a sorority". I guess that I am a follower, and I dont want to morph into the wrong people becuase I am always at the sorority. I have even found myself doing things I would never do, just because the sorority was doing it. Obviously, it is my fault, and not the chapters at all.

Are your chapter meetings and events on Sundays? Sunday morning? Sunday night? Is there a way to attend a morning service vs. evening service or maybe even a midweek service? I'm not saying "Put God second to the sorority"; but, sometimes you have to maneuver a bit to make things work.

I'm a Fire Captain. The fire department operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Sometimes I work on Sundays. In fact, at my previous fire department, we had mandatory training drills every other Sunday morning from 9am-12pm (!!!). I had to figure it out. One of the firefighters who worked most Sundays would put on a live internet feed from his church so that he could still "attend" the service. Even though I had to miss many services, I rest knowing that the Lord still loves me no matter which day of the week I worship. He doesn't have a specific lock on Sundays. You can praise him on a Wednesday or Thursday too.

Yes, studying for your classes is very important and it can be hard work and time consuming; but, effective time management is what will pull you through. You have to learn to balance church, study, work and sorority now and later in your life it will be church, spouse, kids, work, inlaws, PTA, etc. Learning good time management now will serve you well in the many years to come.

The "I'm a follower" part was a very honest comment on your part. Kudos to you for being honest with yourself on that. Sometimes it's difficult to say no to something when all you really want is to fit in with everyone else. But, like I said in my previous post, are there other members like YOU who you could stand with and have more strength in numbers? There will always be times in our lives when we are faced with temptations and things we might not normally do. How we respond to them is what builds our character. I managed to make it through college without drinking and my friends *admired* me for my personal fortitude. So again, I ask you to consider what you could bring to the table. Is there an opportunity for a positive testimony here?

True and Constant