View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 12:22 PM
GreekChat Member

OK, thank you for all the feedback, and you are def right, CMDelta, I need some slack! Kidding, you are all correct- my daughter was RANKING the sororities, not cutting them. That's what happens when you "rushed" back in the dark ages, you don't always know how things have changed… and all you moms know how much detailed info our daughters tell us (not).

SO, to get back to my story, Little Red was over the moon about M&Ms and Peppermint Patties, both, but she put M&Ms first on her pref list, as did her roommate. And now it is time for BID DAY!!

It's a gorgeous early fall day on the Ole Miss Campus. A couple thousand people are piled in The Grove- excited, nervous PNM's, excited, nervous moms, and dozens of Gamma Chi's (tho they may be called something different- my brain's fuzzy with all this excitement) who are ready to re-associate with their respective sororities. The sorority house lawns are filled with excited, screaming actives, fraternity guys, a few dogs, and lots of photographers. Right, you got me… how do I know this? I have split up with my daughter's roommate's mom. Roommate's mom is waiting in The Grove, to capture the opening of the bid cards on camera while I have stationed myself outside M&M's lawn to (Hopefully!) film my daughter and her roommate as they race to their new sisters at their new home. If it ends up she gets a bid from Peppermint Patties, I'm not sure what I will do, but I have a good feeling about this!

Drum roll……. Little Red and her roommate run up to the roommate's mom and tear open their bid cards. Roommate starts jumping up and down. It's M&Ms!! But Little Red stands there with a shocked look on her face. What?

She has read the wrong line of the bid card and thinks she's been asked to pledge Jr. Mints, which she has never heard of!! But, roommate saves the day and points to the sorority which has asked her to join them….. M&Ms it is!! Little Red jumps up and down with joy and both girls tear out of the woods over to the M&M house, where I have given up filming them bc I think all the PNMs have made it to the house by now! But it's all good! We reunite and everyone's overjoyed, especially our Little Red and her roommate!

Lessons learned, moms… Recs ARE IMPORTANT, but just bc you have 5 best friends who write your daughter glowing recs doesn't really mean much and if you only have one or two recs from people who don't know your daughter well it doesn't mean much either. It's really who she knows in the house. I recommend you put all the energy I put into finding recs instead into finding her some connections if possible. In Little Red's case, her orientation leader was her connection. They just hit it off and Red met lots of the girls' sisters, which helped seal the deal.

My best of luck to all you moms out there, I hope your girls have a great rush next year! It's truly been a pleasure!