View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyGreek View Post
That seems awfully harsh. Especially when some chapters have dues that are over $4000/year and don't include living in the house. Why can't affordability be part of the pref/selection criteria? When my daughter signed up for recruitment (and paid over $100 to do so), neither one of us had any idea what the dues were for chapters at the school she is attending. There's a huge range in dues/mandatory fees, too.

Back when I was in college, each of the sororities on my campus had their own personality. Recruitment really felt like it was a matching process. More social girls were attracted to one house, another had a much more artsy flair, one was more academic, etc. Houses might evolve, and reputations changed over time, but they were not just randomized groups of girls having to get along. No upper classmen were telling us that "nobody likes their sorority at first." like they are telling my daughter and her friends.
How large were the chapters at your school?

Also re costs, we had a mom on here a few years back who basically wanted to know how her daughter could opt out of the more expensive chapters. The point is you (you = who ever is paying, be it parents or student) can't say "well, I just won't like the expensive chapter." Rush doesn't work that way.