Thread: Badge Trends?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 03:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeychile View Post
One of the latest pins I won was alternating rubies & pearls - with no pin on the back! Insteead of looking at this as a problem, I'm trying to think of what I could have it soldered onto.

Suggestions?
Regardless of what you do, just be careful who you have do the work. Hot solder (ie: gold) will burn the pearls. Low temp is going to be something like lead, and it'll look crummy. You need to find a good, high-quality local jeweler who does (or contracts with someone who does) laser solder. The laser is very targeted and does not burn the pearls. I just had a pin & catch re-attached to a pearl badge, and it's still perfect-no pearls needed replacing.

IMHO, you should get one of those badge pendant plaques (the ones where normally you pin your badge through) and have it soldered on to that. I have a large crown pearl theta badge from the 50's pinned through a kite shaped badge pendant and I wear it all the time.

If you put the badge on a bracelet, the pearls will end up taking a beating, especially if you wear it a lot. I've found some badges on charms (for charm bracelets) and the pearls on 'em are invariably all worn to shreds.