View Single Post
Old 08-04-2007, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCat25 View Post
Carnation - I was interested and appalled by your comment that to be involved in certain student organizations at Auburn you had to be from one of the top sororities. If these are student organizations then they should be open to all students, no matter which sorority you are in or if you are not in one at all. This is the fault of the Auburn administration who obviously just doesn't care about its students. At my university if the sororities tried to pull something like that the administration would kick greek ass like you wouldn't believe. Could be that's what I pay $45k a year for.
I'm assuming Auburn has a similar number of student orgs to UGA and they have a similar structure with a student activities office presiding over student groups. I believe we had several thousand student orgs when I was there (any organized group of 10 students with a sponsor was a student organization as long as necessary paperwork was filled out). As a serving officer of three different organizations during my time at UGA, I know that the student activities office didn't check up on our membership. One of these groups was by audition only and the other two were open to everyone, but they would have had no way of knowing if I decided the latter two were for only people from certain groups (Greeks, drama majors, rich kids, etc.). If our organization's constitution on file with student activities said we would let anyone in regardless of race, gender, religion, sexuality, etc., they assumed that we did it... so I can see how a group could get away with SAYING anyone can join/apply and then actually going about it differently. Doesn't make it right... but I can see how they could get away with it.

This is not the fault of the administration, because it's not their job. It's the job of the student activities office, and with that many student orgs there's no way they can go around policing everyone. [And, of course, I thought I'd mention that higher education is a business and the administration is not in the business of caring about their students, but rather in the business of making money.]

I would assume that any school for which you pay $45K a year has a smaller student body and less student organizations. It would be much easier to keep tabs on every organization in this situation. I'm sure that, yes, a smaller campus/student body is part of your tuition cost.