View Single Post
Old 07-25-2018, 12:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose50 View Post
My girl has a question she would like me to ask about Social Media, specifically, Instagram.

She noticed that several girls she met at orientation follow some of the sororities on the campus. She wants to know if she should as well. Rush begins in about 3 weeks.

My advice was to either follow all or follow none with the understanding they will not follow back right now. What are everyone's thoughts?

FYI: Her Instagram account is open right now and has nothing she wouldn't mind having on the front page of a newspaper.

Thanks, ladies!
My personal opinion, keeping in mind that I know nothing about what campus she's on... and know little about how Instagram works: don't follow any.

I'm assuming she's taking part in formal recruitment. Therefore, she's going to meet all of the chapters and wants to stay as neutral as possible going in. She doesn't want to even accidentally appear as though she's favoring one chapter over another, and social media can make it appear this way, even if she follows all of them.

Also, the last thing she'd want is an Instagram page subconsciously pushing her one way or the other and influencing her decisions during recruitment.

And keep in mind: not every potential member will be following the chapters on Instagram. I'd argue that most of them won't. It might appear after orientation that nearly everyone is following them, but I'd put money on the fact that it's not the case.

I don't know the membership selection criteria for these chapters, but I'm willing to bet they're not making decisions based on whether or not a potential member is following their social media pages.

Better safe than sorry!

@~/~~~~