View Single Post
Old 04-10-2011, 07:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaRose View Post
Dear Brooke,

KnightShadow is correct that you will have to get exact information for your national sorority and also the chapter at the school to which you will be transferring. I wanted to give some general information that was true for me in my sorority both as a member and as an advisor and in two other cases in other sororities with which I am familiar (the cases of affliation - not the complete running of the sorority).

I transferred schools at the end of my sophomore year and affiliated with the chapter at my new school. I was a member in good standing (as you are). I contacted the Greek advisor at my new school who put me in touch with the women of the chapter. I met first with the chapter director and the president. My grades were checked through the school and my standing through nationals. I next went out to dinner with a group of juniors in the chapter (my year group) then attended a chapter meeting ( I believe it was a casual meeting but I'm not sure.)
The next week the chapter voted on my affliation and I was accepted. I loved my first chapter but I loved the chapter with whom I affliated even more - they are the ones that were my bridesmaids and that I still see every year. (I'm 47 now).

One thing that can come into play - I transferred from a large school with a large competitive greek system and a very prominent chapter - to a large school with a small non-competitive greek system and a very prominent chapter. If you are transferring from a not-too-hard-to-get into greek system to a very competive one - the chapter will be more stringent in examining you. Girls have been know to go to certain schools to pledge the sorority they want and then try to transfer to a school where they may not have been successful in pledging that sorority.

I have not been involved in working recruitment since 2004 - but at that time affliation numbers did not come into play in either quota numbers or total figures.

Again, you will need to contact your national headquarters and the advisor of the chapter at your new school to get exact information.

Do that this spring so that hopefully you can get to know some new sisters during the summer and be a part of the excitement of rush in the fall.

I wish you the best.
Georgia Rose
This post made me chuckle.

Long story finally made short by the end, "you will need to contact...."