View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 09:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCat View Post
I don't see the great harm in leaving these ladies on alumna status. For KD, a transfer student on alumna status has all the rights of an alumna. She can attend chapter and participate in recruitment as an alumna. She can attend any of the events the local alumnae are invited to -- Homecoming, philanthropy events, chapter dinners, etc.

If a transfer isn't accepted for affiliation, it's often because the chapter is at quota or close to it, and they'd like to fill the available spots with freshmen. It doesn't mean that the transfer isn't welcome. If she suits up, shows up, and volunteers to help out, she'll make friends and be included in the chapter's social life.
You can accept transfers even if you are above total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Imagine what would happen on highly competitive campuses. Women might go through recruitment, be rejected by every single house, transfer to a regional/smaller/less competitive school, get initiated, then transfer back to the original competitive school to be automatically accepted and count against their quota. This would happen all the time.
I highly doubt this would happen that terribly often. Women may transfer to Big State U and try to affiliate all the time, but the number of women who specifically go to Small State U to get into a chapter through a back door is more advertised than reality. In my experience in a state that had a Big State U with the supposed issue, all the same chapters at the Small State Univs were also hard to get into.

Also in my experience, however, meeting at least 5 transfers from Big State U during my tenure in at Small State U, they had no interest in affiliating with their chapters upon transferring. (Who am I kidding, I'm talking about LSU and ULM.)

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!