View Single Post
Old 01-12-2015, 05:51 AM
GreekChat Member

I've known several chapters at schools on the quarter system and it's still relatively unusual for them to have pledging extend over winter break, just because of our National Pledging Standards.* But that's not relevant to your question. In the chapter I pledged, it wouldn't be an issue at all post-initiation. I've known big-little pairs that have gotten married, too. I don't know the culture of your specific chapter, so I can't say if it would be frowned upon there or not.

Were you friends with anyone else in the chapter before you pledged? If so, and if you think they could keep the information private, would you feel comfortable asking them about the situation? They might be able to provide a better answer for you, since they know the culture of that specific chapter. APO is a little different at every campus, so I just can't say how people might feel at your particular school. It was fine where I pledged, but that doesn't mean it's fine everywhere, and I don't want to give you incorrect information.

* I'm aware of one school that had a delay in starting their pledge program this quarter because of some changes to oversight of registered student organizations by Student Affairs. They didn't start pledging until mid-October, they had a week off at Thanksgiving, and Dead Week at that institution began December 1, so it wouldn't surprise me if they moved initiation to January, but I don't know that for certain. In glancing at some calendars just now, I found at least one other school that also looks like it has initiation after winter break, so it's not entirely unheard of...