View Single Post
Old 07-12-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OplesAndBanonos View Post
Hello all,
I've been eyeing the Greek life for quite some time, but I wanted to adjust to the collegic life before throwing myself into a commitment I wasn't ready for; I didn't rush my first year. And I definitely was not ready: my grades completely suffered. My grades started off from below a 2.0 but had an upward trend; right now I'm hanging on below a 2.5. I have about 3 weeks left with summer school: I am repeating 2 classes that I failed in the beginning of the year. I received my midterm grades back and I'm really happy to say that I have very high As in both classes! Now I don't want to get ahead of myself with a final worth the rest of my grade, but if I end up receiving a B in both classes, my GPA will jump to over a 3.0.

Unfortunately my under-3.0-GPA the past year will haunt me forever, and I feel that it will during recruitment. I think I've improved so much as a person this whole year, but my GPA won't reflect that. For example, I started to eat well and be active regularly. I'm still overweight (shedded several pounds so far and hopin' to get into a healthy weight soon!), but I've gained so much confidence and positivity through this process. I developed more teamwork and leadership skills by being involved in 3 extracurricular activities and volunteering at our Women's Resource Center. Also, I actually study now!!!! Sorry about that whole gloat party LOL I didn't mean to brag, but... I am working hard in many aspects of my life! So... Is there anything I could do to alleviate my bad grades in the past and hopefully still let these girls know that I want to contribute in any way and am willing to make them a priority (after family and studies, but that's a given, right?)?

(This is all assuming that my grades for summer school will be as well as I hope. I don't think I could allow myself to rush if I didn't get the grades in first. I know the Greek life is a huge commitment, and I can't betray these girls; I would need to put my utmost efforts into the sorority if I joined!)

Thank you for reading... Sorry for being a mouthful.. or eyeful? The internet is confusing LOL
This is an FYI for all PNMs, because we seem to be getting a lot of "Oh, well I have *insert low GPA here* but I've done x, y, and z!" going on around here these days:

Grades matter. They just do.

You may have had a really bad semester, but the effects of that one bad semester can prevent you from being able to succeed in recruitment.

No matter how many other things you've improved on, if you don't meet a chapter's minimum GPA requirements, you can't expect to receive a bid.

Also consider that even if one does meet the minimum, other PNMs WILL have higher GPAs.

Lakers Nation.