View Single Post
Old 12-17-1999, 01:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Well hello! I am a member of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc at Texas Southern University and I congratulate you on being the Rush coordinator 99-00. On an informal note, we try to get all the rushees involved in a kind of friend to friend basis. In 1997 we had a bowl of 500 lifesavers. Each rushee had to take one. (red-5,yellow-4,
green-3,orange-2,white-1). The color they picked signified how many things they had to say about themselves. In 1998 the present members got up and spoke about the sorority and things done recently, then there was a session of questions. We would start off easy and ask who can give the correct colors of the sorority? What date is AKA founded? How many founders? Then get into more detailed questions about things mentioned. We would give away nice prizes like a coffee cup with ivy's on it and picture frames with ivy's or just trinkets from AKA. All the gifts said Thankyou from the members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority,Inc Gamma Psi Chapter 1998 Rush. Things they could take home and kind of be excited about. In 1999 the rush consisted of skits and we would pick someone out of the audience to help with each skit. We also give tickets as you walk in and there is a drawing for a prize. And there are #'s under each seat, the number pulled also wins a prize. There is always a session where questions can be addressed to the sorority about anything. Everyone gets something when exiting (be it a little bag of candy or a keychain of some sort-no one goes home empty handed). Of course there is a reception so everyone can feel more comfortable afterwards. We try to make everyone feel like friends, but I do like the previous idea that was posted and maybe we will try that for 2000 about the cystic fibrosis. We are supporting breast cancer and a requirement for 1999 was wearing a ribbon in honor of the disease.