View Single Post
Old 07-28-2005, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

I admit that I bought the book. I was hoping to get it from the library but there was a huge waiting list at the time.

I literally only read to page 6 before I became completely appalled by it.

I thought it was tacky that she opened the book with bid day from the early 90's where girls were hazed. Heck ADPi didn't establish anti-hazing rules until 1996.

My first thoughts on that were that she was the girl who didn't get the bid to the house where mommy and grandma and sister went, who was still crying back in the MU (or wherever the heck she was). Within the prologue you knew the book would be a complete diss on sorority life.

I finally put it down when she declared that all sorority girls were popular, pretty and rich (and I'm paraphrasing her). I most certainly WAS NOT popular in high school. I come from what would be considered a high middle to low upper class family, no way considered "rich". And I think I'm pretty but I'm most certainly not drop dead gorgeous. Right then I knew she would be using those stereotypes through the whole damn book.

Plus, once I found out that she actually divulged ritual of other sororities (Gamma Phi, if I remember correctly from reading on the boards here), I just couldn't read it. I have no desire to learn other sororities SECRET RITUALS!!!!

All I can hope is that the "movie" that is supposedly being made either is shelved or completely tanks at the box office.

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." Eleanor Roosevelt