Thread: Advice Needed
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by naraht View Post
This is the sentence that *really* set it off for me. According to this, men who pledged in the Fall, initiated the *following* October? Does any National group allow for pledging to last essentially an entire year? (note, this is apparently for an existing chapter, there may be fraternities where someone who started a Colony might not actually become a brother until the charter is given)
I highly doubt any national allows this, but fraternities have been doing their own thing since time began. I know a chapter at a school (not my fraternity nor my alma mater) that has the pledges begin their pledgeship in the spring and then force them to move into the house the next fall (still pledges) only to be initiated at the end of the fall...I am 99.9% positive their nationals would be appalled but frankly few are successful at a) finding these things out, at least in full detail and b) getting the chapter to change however many years of tradition.

To the OP, no way in hell you are getting your own pledge class no matter what the school. Do contact the fraternity that gave you a bid before and make up something that sounds plausible for why you denied the bid (finances or whatever), and then see what they say. They'll probably discuss it, and the silver lining is that even if they are offended, they'll probably cut you at the first chance so you'll still have time to look at other options. If they still like you then you'll probably get more indication you'll get a bid than you would at other chapters. There's really no reason not to go for it.

If it helps, in my fraternity we had pledges who denied bids and re-rushed go both ways...some we cut, some we invited back. It depended on their attitude, how much we liked them to begin with (a top rushee or a guy that barely made the cut), and how much we believed their excuse/story. Some check out, some are dubious at best.

Focus on chapters that are not the "big dogs" on campus. Like others have said, they'll be more resistant to juniors unless you are buddies (and I mean close friends, not acquaintances) with several members.