View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 06:48 PM
GreekChat Member

You are getting a lot of politically correct responses here, but in my experience, no it doesn't matter unless the fraternity in question is in trouble with their nationals for grades.

Fraternity rush is not like sorority rush. While specific houses and GLOs may have rules for guys to meet, it is nowhere even close to the rigors of the point systems for sorority rush (at least formal). So, almost all of the advice given to female PNMs here (get your grades in order, get recs, wear "XYZ", etc) is more or less invalid for the overwhelming majority of fraternity chapters. Alumni pull or recommendation may matter more in competitive SEC chapters, but I highly doubt grades are.

I would assume for the vast majority of collegiate chapters, if you meet the IFC minimum AND the GLO minimum (if there is one) that the following stands:

- When choosing between a guy they love with a "meh" GPA or a guy they like a little less with an amazing GPA, most houses will pick the former.
- If you meet the minimum, you'll be judged almost completely on personality, and then maybe involvement second if it's something that would add prestige to the chapter (or for certain SEC chapters, hometown, high school, etc), but lack of involvement typically doesn't hurt you if you're a fit, it's just that involvement in certain things may give you a leg up for certain chapters.

Grades will matter, and probably significantly, if you are trying to join a colony however.

Get out there, meet guys. Almost all the decisions will come down to if your personality is a fit or not. And if it is, they'll bend over backwards to get you, "meh" GPA or not.