View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 11:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieM View Post
I apologize if I am not doing this correctly. I am completely new here but need help. I need to give my daughter advice but when I went through recruitment it was at a DII school so it was not nearly as competitive as I'm seeing on these boards. And I did informal.

My DD is an athlete at a DI University (though not as large as your average SEC University) in her home state. She is considering transferring to another DI school in the state which is in the SEC conference and has a very competitive recruitment. As an athlete this year, she has spent 5-6 hours a day, six days a week at practice and misses class for competitions plus 6 a.m. workouts. She plays a two season sport that will have these time requirements in both fall and spring. This has made it difficult for her to join any outside clubs or pursue any other interests. Additionally, the coach forbids them from joining a sorority.

If she transfers, she will no longer be playing her sport and one of the reasons she is considering quitting her sport and transferring is because she feels this is keeping her grades from where they need to be. She has a 3.0 through midterm but is hoping to raise it this and next semester before transferring next summer.

As a sophomore going through recruitment, is there any consideration for the fact that she played a sport? Would they cut her a little slack on her grades or other involvement outside of the sport? In high school she played two varsity sports, club sports, had a 3.8 GPA and did various volunteer work and held a job. But, I'm wondering if any of that even counts once you are past freshman year? Do you mention any of that on your application?

She has a few friends in the houses where she would transfer to but not what I would consider a lot. I also think I can find her recs for most of the houses.

What advice do I give her? Stay where she is and rush at the original school (she's a legacy at a house there and knows a lot of the girls in it so has a very good chance, I think). Transfer to the new school at semester and try to meet as many girls as she can? Stay and get those grades up?

I am so afraid that she won't end up in a house at all or a house that she likes due to being a sophomore with less than expected grades. The girls she does know are in top houses so I am concerned about her expectations. She is very pretty and funny so I'm not so worried about looks/personality but the sophomore grades thing is keeping me up at night.

And now I have to apologize for the length. Any help/advice is appreciated. Thank you so much.
First, your daughter needs to decide on where to go to school based on her EDUCATIONAL goals, not where she has the best chance of joining a sorority.

Second, your daughter sounds like she is very mature and has a good head on her shoulders. How about keeping your opinions to yourself and let HER make these decisions? It certainly sounds like she is capable of making her own choices. She is certainly able to get her OWN recommendations. If you need to make introductions to sorority alumnae that are your friends, that is fine. After the introduction, she should be the one talking to those alumnae and getting her own recs.

As a college sophomore, your little bird is ready to fly! Step back & let her amaze you with what she can do on her own!

Best of luck to you both...