Thread: Ballerina Rush
View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Day 2! Orientation Day

My Rho Gamma texted us to tell us where to meet for breakfast and reminded us lovingly that fraternity men were strictly off limits this week. So, I responded telling her I was having breakfast with my mom one last time and would meet them at 10:30 in the Dining Hall. I cried all throughout breakfast and proceeded to make myself physically sick over being alone in a new state. My mom kept reminding me that next Sunday,(tomorrow now that its been a week since this occurred), I would have a home and sisters and wouldn’t feel so alone. She was trying not to cry as she got me some pepto to calm my stomach. She hugged me goodbye and said she loved me and would miss me like crazy.

Since we couldn’t park next to my dorm I was now two blocks from my dorm with a case of water, medicine, and a box of saltines to carry while bawling my eyes out. It however was fantastic that I had remembered my sunglasses because those hid some of the tears. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I felt like I was doing one awkward walk of shame since I didn’t have any clothes at my mom’s hotel and still had yesterdays rush wear on.

I made the trek to my room, changed, covered my tear stains, and called my Rho Momma, which was what we’ve decided to call her after this week, She was so sympathetic and told me where in the Dining hall they were, so off I went to find them. My big sister who was at her own retreat for Long Beach Ballet was sending me inspirational texts all day.

We went to PNM orientation which basically explained the next week to us. I sat with two girls who didn’t know each other, and one reminded me of Spencer from Pretty Little Liars. They were so nice and I could see myself becoming friends with them, even sisters. Spencer and we’ll call her Rachel had become my two favorite people in the Rho Gam group so far. I really liked them and hoped we ended up in the same chapter.

Once the orientation was over, we ate. And this was big for me since I’m always hungry and this orientation was super long. We then trucked over to Booze, Sex and Reality Checks which was crazy because they showed how different each shot glass really is and how much alcohol they really hold. They also discussed the whole sexual assault business and how to keep yourself safe. I was really happy Panhellenic made us attend this because I mean we are young women going to a new place and alone. Things can happen.

Finally came the walking. And the talking. I started talking about cheer with one girl and somehow it led to the entire group discussing legacies and chapters and preconceived notions. I didn’t really have any other than I already liked Long Beach Ballet because of my sister. We arrived back at our dorm after what felt like the most amount of walking since I tried to walk one mile and ended up making a huge loop that was 4 miles long. Rho Momma instructed us on what time to meet for dinner so we ate together.

Dinner came and went and Rho Momma led us to the auditorium to listen about understanding our values. The Panhellenic Council President and Panhellenic Council Vice President of Membership talked about about their values and how important values are during recruitment because they are moving towards a values based recruitment process.

We watched the Long Beach Ballet video about their values and after having talked in our Rho Gamma groups about our values I saw just how much their values matched mine. It made me miss home a little and miss being part of my friends seeing how close their values have brought them which made me a little teary eyed.