View Single Post
Old 10-30-2000, 11:58 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by 33girl:
But as far as your bid card - that should be the rushee's choice, PERIOD. If you want to put down 3, 2, 1, or none. I agree. However, at the time, I didn't feel like I had a choice. Read on...I explain below.

I recall someone saying on here that at their campus if the rushees suicided (aka intentional single preference) they were ineligible for a bid. That is just wrong.
I had no intention of suicide bidding. I wanted to put down 1 of my 2 prefs + 3 others (we were allowed to put down a total of 4). I tried to put down my 1 pref that I liked plus 3 others. (I did not attend the 3 others' prefs). My Rho Chi said I *MUST* put down BOTH of my prefs. I now know that this is wrong. But stupid, uninformed, ignorant, 19 year old me listened to her and allowed my instincts (which were saying to me, "don't put the other group down, you'll regret it") to be overridden by her.

I think carnation is right - this is a local panhellenic trying to build up the weaker sororities, and I guess that is an admirable goal. But it's wrong that if forces the rushees to go someplace they never wanted, and it's also patronizing. "Poor XYZ needs some help. Let's funnel all these extra girls there." I don't care how small my chapter was, I would NEVER want a girl to be there who felt she was "bullied" into joining. I don't care if we were her second or third choice, as long as we were HER choice. I agree. I have only learned thanks to this board that some Greek systems out there permit Rushees to drop groups that they don't want. I sure wish I had had that choice available to us.

You should know - should be told by the Rho Chis and the Greek Affairs office - that if you suicide there's a big chance you won't get a bid. But you should also know that if you put down a group you don't want there's a big chance you WILL. I now know this, and I will say again: I did not intend to suicide bid. There were 5/7 groups that I really liked. Unfortunately for me, I was made to feel that I could not drop this group.

CutiePie - you definitely need to go to someone in student affairs on this one. What they are doing is contrary to Panhellenic procedure.
Unfortunately, this was a few years back, so I cannot take action to straighten this out. However, I am wiser now. What's more, I certainly learned that if I am not comfortable doing something, I will not be signing my name to it, whether it be a Bid Card, or a legal contract of some sort. I also recall that I had some questions about filling in my Bid Card, and was made to feel that I could not ask them. Rather, the mentality expressed to me was, "Don't ask questions. Just fill out the card and sign it."