View Single Post
Old 09-15-2006, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
I'm still kind of shocked that a 2.5 gpa requirement would be cited as a reason why recruitment numbers would be lower this year than years previous. Is that type of gpa THAT common at Ole Miss?

Even if the numbers were lower than in past years, is there something wrong with quota being under 80? As someone from a pledge class of about 25 (which was normal at my Univ.), I can't imagine trying to bond with a pledge class 3-4 times the size, or a chapter of 300 women. It boggles my mind!
Ole Miss is a very good university but we are no Vanderbilt or say UGA, as compared to other SEC schools. We have a nationally ranked Honors College and other great programs. Anyway, 2.5's can be common especially for out of state students. Many TX, LA, and GA kids come here because they were not able to get their "Tops" or "Hope" scholarships. (LA started there scholarships a couple of years ago.) Therefore, you will see lower grades with students here as opposed to Vanderbilt or UGA. Many of these kids will transfer to UGA or LSU after a couple of years of getting their grades up at Ole Miss.

I was always told that the Ayers case did play a part into creating a sense that no student is denied entrance into any public university in the state of MS.

I don't think any house on campus would be upset if our new member classes were smaller. Yes the houses at Ole Miss are larger but there is still sisterhood and the traditions/rituals of each group are stilled fufilled.

Last edited by OleMissGlitter; 09-15-2006 at 08:43 PM.