View Single Post
Old 07-14-2019, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGDee View Post
Last I heard, the University of Michigan is being forced to move to deferred. It's causing great concern for filling the houses. I think that's the biggest driving force for fall recruitment is housing. Housing in college towns is typically difficult to find so students sign leases in October/November for the following academic year. That means with deferred recruitment, sophomores can't live in. You have to fill a house with Juniors because Seniors usually don't want to live in (for a variety of reasons- being at legal drinking age, having internships, fieldwork, student teaching, etc.)
I think it would be easier for deferred at a school with smaller or no housing. University of Virginia does deferred recruitment, but the houses there are smaller...largest holds 32 last I knew and most only hold around 20 or less. I was at Virginia over 30 years ago and they were doing deferred then. The reasoning was, as others have pointed out, to let students become adjusted to college life and establish themselves a bit on campus before joining a sorority. But, I will say that January's in Charlottesville were cold. To get to one house, we had to go down wooden stairs, cross the railroad tracks and then go up the other side. One of the fraternities always thought it was a funny prank to pour water over the stairs so they'd freeze.