View Single Post
Old 06-12-2017, 01:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to shadokat Send a message via Yahoo to shadokat
President Barron didn't think Beta was a problem. His words "The Beta fraternity was viewed as a model fraternity and reflected a national perspective on many best practices. The house, privately-owned and situated like all other fraternity houses on private property, was beautiful, the subject of a multi-million dollar renovation. Both the Beta alumni and the national organization provided strict rules of behavior. The brothers had a ‘no alcohol’ policy, which stated that anyone caught drinking would be expelled from the fraternity. There was live-in oversight as contracted through an external agreement with the national organization. The owner of the house wired it for video surveillance. There were no outward signs of large parties, which are frequently the bane of community members. All indicators suggested a “model” fraternity."

Penn State, like it or not, has to do something big for this PR nightmare to die down. And all of the Greek organizations at Penn State are there at the invitation of Penn State. Sort of like when your dad says "You wanna live in my house, you live by my rules." Penn State is saying if you want to be a part of this campus, we're happy to have you, but you're living by our rules. I don't think it's right or wrong...it just IS! When you haven't had a handle on what the organizations have been doing for as long as Penn State has, drastic measures may be needed.

Also, I don't think we have any right to tell the Piazzas that something will or won't bring their son back. I think they already live that reality every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonInKC View Post
I don't think it's right to sanction all the other orgs that had zero to do with this. It looks like Beta Theta Pi has a history of being a problem at Penn State. They are now gone permanently. Brothers are facing legal consequences for this and Beta Theta Pi is getting sued for this as well. I think what needed to be done is being done.

As tragic as the case is, punishing every person involved in the Greek system of an entire school won't bring their son back.