View Single Post
Old 09-07-2015, 03:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Preference Round

I was en route to Stillwater for Bid Day, when I got a text from Roomie. Libby wanted her to let me know that she had gotten:

Seaside,
Rosemary Beach,
and Grayton Beach

back for her Preference Parties! Again, Libby had gotten her top three choices. I was thrilled for her. She managed to send me a selfie of her in her pref dress, and I was surprised at the color she chose, but decided not to be a helicopter mom. The color she was wearing was clearly the color of one of the chapters she was preffing. We had discussed remaining neutral! Yikes! Maybe she planned to change dresses between parties?

Her parties were scattered throughout the day, and I arrived and checked into my hotel. I was not allowed to see her or communicate with her, which was fine with me because she was happy and had everything under control. I spent the afternoon shopping around in Stillwater and enjoying a yummy coffee at Aspen Coffee. 

Before I give anything away, here is a brief account of pref day for Libby (the houses are NOT listed in any particular order, and I have deleted many details that would give the chapter and Libby’s identity away…sorry!):

Rosemary Beach: She loved them. She cried at Pref. She felt wanted, and she adored the girls who preffed her. She felt like this was home! She was so torn at this point, because she dearly loves/loved the women in our family (one of whom has passed away) who were Rosemary Beaches. This chapter is amazing, and she simply doesn’t know what to do. She doesn’t want to disappoint ANYONE, especially the precious girls in this chapter.

Grayton Beach: She loved them, but she didn’t cry at Pref. She didn’t really feel anything, which was shocking to her because she had loved them all week long. Suddenly, she knew that Grayton Beach was not home for her, which made her sad because they were a solid favorite all week long. She knew that she would still be friends with the girls in this house, even if they weren’t her sisters.

Seaside: She didn’t cry at Seaside’s pref either. She laughed and had a blast talking to a girl she had talked to earlier in the week. She felt wanted and accepted. Pref was meaningful and fun. She saw and felt the close sisterhood in this house when the seniors spoke. They embraced her quirky sense of humor. She could be herself with no worries here. Seaside was HOME.

Around 8 pm that night, Libby sent everyone in our family (including helicopter emoji mom) a text that said:
Everyone wear _____________________. I am going to be a Seaside!

Honestly, we were all a little shocked. Rosemary had captured her heart, too. But, she told me later knew that she would still be friends with those girls no matter where she ended up and that Rosemary would ALWAYS hold a special place in her heart. They are simply an amazing group of women, just like Grayton Beach.

She was sure of her choice and happy with her decision. She had no problem ranking. She knew where her home was. I was happy that she was happy.

On Bid Day morning, bids were supposed to be distributed at 10 am. The girls were told to stay in their rooms and the Rho Gammas would come around, bang on their door, and hand them their bid and bid day t-shirt.

Sidenote: GOOD for you OSU Panhellenic for handling bids this way! This gave the young ladies who may have not gotten their first choice a chance to absorb things privately! If there were any issues, girls could deal with it one on one with their Rho Gamma and in the privacy of their room. Other Panhellenics should take a look at this method of bid distribution, even if it means breaking tradition!

The girls were to wear their Panhellenic shirts over their Bid Day Shirts, so reveal would still be exciting and fun!

Around 9:30 am, Libby texted all of us a selfie, ecstatically wearing a Bid Day shirt from…….

SEASIDE

Also known as KAPPA DELTA.

Libby is a very, very happy Nu member of the Nu chapter of Kappa Delta. And we share a letter in common!