View Single Post
Old 08-05-2011, 11:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AlwaysSAI
This thread was started long before I was a GC member. Ehem, I was a high school sophomore in 2001. So, I did not read all 16 pages of responses. But, I am going to respond to the initial topic of the thread.

"You'll end up where you're meant to be."

In theory, I have no problem with the above statement. As far as I'm concerned, it's true-very true. My problem with the statement is how it is applied. No one ever qualifies the statement with-"You'll end up where you're meant to be which may not be in an NPC sorority."

For all intents and purposes, a PNM reading this should disregard the ΑΓΔ letters under my signature. I did not have a successful recruitment at a non-competitive school. As a sophomore with a solid GPA, campus involvement, and an outgoing personality, I was heartbroken.

As the year progressed, I found homes in two great organizations--Sigma Alpha Iota and Phi Sigma Pi. Both of these are fantastic organizations that provided me with all the trappings of an NPC sorority. We performed rituals, had bigs/lils, elected leaders, held recruitment, voted on initiate classes, and sponsored all-campus events. Both of my chapters even won all campus awards during my undergrad days--beating out NPCs and NPHCs.

I did have a home at my university, but it wasn't with the NPCs. I do believe that everyone who searches will find a greek home. But, telling a PNM, that "life goes on after recruitment" isn't enough. They need to know that there are other "homes" available and waiting for them.