View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
The guy I was talking to is out and is pretty active on campus. I think he felt like orientation for him might be an issue with some groups. I suspect that sexual orientation is going to be less and less of an issue as guys grow up always having known some folks who were out.

But at some southern schools, you're looking at some chapters who may not have ethnically or racially integrated. I suppose if some of the really elitist and exclusionary groups have some legacies or guys from their hometown private schools who just happen to be gay and interested in membership, then maybe they will end up being more accepting of orientation than with other demographic factors. ETA: they may think of other stuff as being markers of social class, orientation not so much. I don't know. It's kind of a funny thing to talk about because how many random members of other groups are going to know if a guy is gay or out? Would I have known about the sexual orientation of top tier guys at UGA in the 1990s? Probably not, but I know that even rumors of groups having gay members back then were scandalous.

I suspect that UNC categorically is probably more progressive than some other southern schools.
To the bolded, this was my take away.

As I recall, a few of the guys came from so called prominent Southern families. Perhaps their social status had more to do with their acceptance than anything else. Regardless, their orientation was a non issue. Which may also, in part, be due to the perception that they were in “top” chapters.